The Northern Pipeline Agency (Agency) is currently under the direction of the Minister of Natural Resources, the Honourable Seamus O’Regan. The Minister has responsibilities related to approving the financing, planning and construction of the pipeline.
Under the Act, the Minister may
- Exercise the powers, duties and functions of other departments and agencies
- Consult with provincial and territorial governments for coordination and review
- Enter into agreements with provincial and territorial governments
- Oversee and survey all planning, construction and procurement; and
- Consult with appropriate authorities in the United States.
The Commissioner, Ms. Christyne Tremblay, is the Deputy Head of the Agency and is appointed by the Governor in Council. The Commissioner advises the Minister on policy and operational matters related to the management of the Crown’s obligations regarding the AHGP.
An Administrator [PDF, 428 KB] may also be appointed by Governor in Council. The Administrator shall, under the direction of the Commissioner, exercise and perform powers, duties and functions that the Minister requires and specifies under the NPAct.
A Deputy Administrator [PDF, 428 KB] may also be appointed by Governor in Council. Should the Administrator or Deputy Administrator be a member of the National Energy Board (NEB), then he or she would also be the NPA Designated Officer. The Designated Officer is responsible for exercising and performing a broad range of powers, duties and functions under the Act, including technical engineering, socio-economic and environmental matters.
- Date modified: